I am a list maker and find it very gratifying to check things off as I have them completed. Inevitably, I also add to my list on a regular basis, so it is much like a revolving door with 1 thing checked off, 2 things added.
As I’m working down my list of pre-surgery details this week, I’m also trying to find peace about this whole process. As you can imagine, I’ve had many conversations and have relayed information to friends and family repeatedly. I’ve shared which hospital I’ll be at, who my doctor is, what procedure they are planning, how many nights I’m expected to be in the hospital, and what the outline of my recovery should look like. I’ve received plenty of opinions both for and against surgery in general, the doctor I’m working with, and all the miracle remedies that people have used to relieve their own back pain – the have you considered…. statements are well intention-ed, but after a while, they do become rather draining, I must admit.
I’m firm in my decision that this is the right step. I’m confident in my doctor and the hospital. I know I’ll have a tough couple of weeks immediately after surgery, and I know I won’t be fully healed for many months – but this is still the right choice in my mind. So I’m just continuing on with my list.
- Ride to and from the hospital – check
- Pre-op Labs and EKG – check
- Cook and freeze – ongoing
- Laundry – ongoing
- Shower Chair – check
- Ice packs – check
- Make a batch of lotion – check
- Set up computer for remote access (telecommuting) – check
- Shove 6 weeks worth of work into 2 weeks for my job – ongoing, but closer every day
- General cleaning and recognizing trip hazards in the house – ongoing
- Clearing off the nightstand except for bare essentials – check
- Pre-pack and packing list – ongoing
- File nails short and trim toenails – check
- Remove toenail polish – Saturday
- Haircut – check
- Clean makeup brushes – check
- Dig out gram’s grabber tool and adjustable hiking cane – check
I’m sure as the next few days tick by, I’ll be adding more things to the list. Still waiting for the nurse to call me for the pre-op call to set the time for my procedure NEXT WEEK!!!
In the meantime, I’m spending my devotional time in study for the reassurance that God’s got this, and his plan is perfect, no matter the earthly outcome.
No matter what happens, always be thankful, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus ~ 1 Thessalonians 5:18
Have a blessed day, friends!