Day 7

This time last week I was hanging out with friends, drinking wine, planning for a shower with special soap, and an early morning wake up alarm with time for another shower with special soap.  A lot has happened since then obviously, more than just your everyday week – but all in all I think I’m actually right where I need to be healing wise.

So let’s just start out by saying I slept like crap last night.  And I got a little angry and frustrated because of the sleep deprivation.  There is a stretch from 10:30pm to 6:30am where I take some sort of pill every two hours.  I’m also supposed to switch out my ice every two hours…so I reasoned that I would just get up…get the pill, switch the ice, and go right back to sleep.  Stupid plan.  It doesn’t work like that at all actually.

Here…let’s just do a walk through of how Heidi gets up to do anything…

  1. remove blanket from lap
  2. set phone on table
  3. put on glasses
  4. reach far to the right to reach the recliner arm that controls the foot rest – lower foot rest
  5. remove pillow/s from under knees
  6. begin leaning forward
  7. shimmy/lift/scoot to the front edge of the recliner using mostly just my arms
  8. set on edge of recliner and put on back brace
  9. reach behind and grab now melted ice pack and put in basket of the walker
  10. take a drink of water and place cup in basket of walker too
  11. tuck phone into the front of the back brace
  12. position walker in front of chair
  13. take deep breath (or 2)
  14. position feet carefully,  grab handle of walker, take deep breath
  15. stand up
  16. breath out adjust back brace
  17. start walking toward bathroom
  18. leave walker in bathroom doorway
  19. keep walking the loop a couple times to loosen up and get the blood flowing
  20. go into bathroom
  21. drop drawers, sit carefully, do business, stand carefully, pull up pants, flush, wash
  22. walk loop a couple more times
  23. fill up water
  24. exchange ice for frozen one
  25. retrieve pill the phone told me I needed
  26. load walker back up
  27. head for recliner.
  28. carefully back up and position feet
  29. take a deep breath
  30. use walker to carefully lower down to edge of recliner
  31. begin preparing ice pack
  32. remove back brace
  33. Shimmy/lift/scoot back to secure ice pack in place
  34. position pillow under knees
  35. reach for recliner arm and slowly raise feet
  36. carefully shift weight and recline more
  37. tip backwards a few notches
  38. drink water
  39. adjust pillow
  40. float blanket over lap
  41. remove glasses
  42. fall back  asleep.

So…more or less every time I have to get out of the chair – that is what happens.  So it was stupid to think that I could just get up every 2 hours and take my pill.  Tonight I will do what I did the night before and get up for every OTHER pill.  That at least goes faster – because the pill waits on the table next to me, and I plan for the ice pack that actually lasts longer – I just reach over and take the pill and go back to sleep.

Last night I got frustrated with the fact that I didn’t plan ahead better and think it through – and so what little bits of sleep I did get were not good.  The 6:30am pills are both pain and muscle relaxers, and steroids all at the same time, so I doped up well, put good fresh ice down and crashed for the next 4 hours without skipping a beat.  That sort of made up for the crappy sleep overnight – but admittedly had my day schedule all messed up too.

Oh well, a late breakfast, late coffee, late lunch….late afternoon shower, and I’m mostly over it all.  Dinner smells amazing (German style goulash with rice) I’ve got all my jewelry back on and blue toenails courtesy of the resident teenagers!

Tomorrow afternoon I head home.  I’m anxious to get home and see my own kitties and doggies…and my husband and I’m guessing more friends too.  I don’t have a recliner, so I’m hopeful that I’ll find some comfortable positions on my couch and in my own bed where I can still ice my back and sleep.  My pain is well managed, and with the addition of the steroids it seems like the ticked off nerves are in a better mood too.  I’m hopeful my journey home will be uneventful… 2 hours in a car shouldn’t be too much worse than a few hours in a recliner.

I seem to be right on track for progress in the healing.  I get a little stronger every day, walk a little farther, and do a little bit more.  I just have to be patient and let my body heal.

Image result for romans 15 13

1 Week down….many more to go!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *